High Street

(Note: The Eastern end of High Street used to be called Bridge Street)


Click on a picture for a more detailed image.


You are here
Map showing High Street
A very early view of the Anchor Inn, pre-telegraph poles.
Cattle herds have left their mark! C. 1905
Anchor Inn C. 1905
Motoring' in style (C. 1915), clearly 'an event' as
witnessed by the distant bevy of spectators.
Smart car outside Anchor Inn C. 1915
A solid-tyred lorry carts off the church bells for re-casting,
maybe at Yeovil. Note the Anchor 'Inn' is now an 'hotel'!
Church bells going for repair
A rough High Street leads towards Charlie More's Fish Yard
behind the gate and opposite the village 'Lock-up' (now 'Jaynes') C. 1915
High Street C. 1915
A view along High Street. Anchor far left and the 'Lock-up' behind right. Old view of High Street
The Pound The Pound
The Anchor Hotel Anchor Hotel
The Anchor Hotel Anchor Hotel
Very early view (C. 1900) of the High Street.
The two ladies braid nets at their open doors in Donkey Lane.
High St C. 1900
A busy day on a muddy High Street before
telephones and traffic restrictions. C. 1905
High St c. 1905
Old view looking east
Old view looking east
Mill Street joins High Street at 'Carner' - the low wall
where fish were displayed daily for sale. Note the
Post Office building, now part of the 'Horseshoes'.
Old Post Office on the 'carner'
Post Office corner with the old 'phone box
Old phone box
Old Post Office at Mill Street/High Street corner
Old Post Office
Old Post Office at Mill Street/High Street corner C. 1915 Post Office C. 1915
Old Post Office at Mill Street/High Street corner C. 1902 Post Office C. 1902
Note the modern metal 'casements' in the cottages left. Modernised cottages
Cynthia Steven from Southover holding small child Cynthia Steven
Bridge Stores with a "Special Offer" C. 1915. Bridge Cottage Stores C. 1915
Looking east Looking east
Post Office with a 'new fangled' telephone C. 1930 PO with new phone
Manor Farm 'chestnuts' dominate middle of High Street,
also a very good view of the cottages next to
Bridge Stores which were later burnt down.
Cottage in High St
Photograph of a painting of the High Street Painting of High St
Haywards (now Bridge Stores) in C. 1920. A wonderful e
mporium supplying all the average villager needed,
from mothballs to soap, and from lamp oil to tea.
The front of the shop was washed away during the floods of 1916.
Inside Haywards' shop C.1920
High Street below Anchor Hotel. C. 1920. High St C. 1920
High Street East High St East
Views such as this (C. 1959) were common until quite recently.
There were several herds which made their way
twice daily to their milking sheds;
careful timing was clearly necessary.
Cows in High St C. 1959
Access to water was vital; here, old steps lead down to a
stream close to Bridge Stores. This water is
from the spinning mill race.
Steps by stream
Early view of High Street with the cottage
on the right that later burnt down.
Early view of High St
Manor Farm garden

Click on picture for funny story in 'Darst Lingo'
Manor Farm
Milk from Manor Farm being transferred by Fred Kerley. Milk being taken from Manor Farm
Milk being collected from Manor Farm,
probably by Mr Rowe of Bredy Farm C. 1935
Milk collection from Manor Farm
Manor Farm as it was. Manor Farm as it was
An early photograph (C. 1897) looking westward
along Bridge High Street. The Symes' cottage,
now known as 'Longbarn', is first on the right.
C. 1897 view
Duke" Symes' cottage (on the right) overlooks the River Bride,
which at that time was subject to severe flooding.
A footpath led from the end of the railings on
the left side of the bridge, southwards to the flax
sheds of Freshwater. Duke, so called owing
to his high opinion of himself, was the village carrier.
'Duke' Symes' cottage
Symes' cottage C. 1912 Symes' cottage C. 1912
High Street East High St
Note grocer's shop on right, now a cottage called 'Longbarn'. 'Longbarn'
This was printed onto carrier bags from Mullins' shop -
now Bridge Stores.
Shop advert
Looking up High Street.
Note cottage next to the shop has burnt down.
High St after cottage was burnt down
High Street East High St East
A view looking east towards Cliff Road.
The slated roof of the smithy is clearly visible
beyond the bridge railings on the right.
Note the hoarding advertising the News Chronicle.
View towards Cliff Road
Early view, before the cottage was converted into a shop. Early view
Prams, bicycles and a horse and cart in Bridge Street C. 1920 Busy picture C. 1920
Cars and vans add to the bustling scene around 1960.
The shop appears prosperous, but the building
suffers from damp as shown on the wall,
a common problem in old cottages.
Busy shot C. 1960
A mystery tower below the church adjoins
Mill Terrace: it is probably the steam engine house.
Mystery tower
Benny Burton, blacksmith, at work on a
hoof at his smithy in Bridge Street.
Smithy at work
Dennis Burton hard at work in the Smithie Dennis Burton hard at work in the Smithie
The Smithy in the good old days.
The building is now derelict and in danger of collapse.
The old Smithy
Another vital job being carried out by Steve Northover
recutting a millstone. The upright wooden pan,
when in place, received the ground flour.
Steve Northover cutting millstone
Picture is taken from a photograph of the original
watercolour by Helen Allingham, at the turn
of the Century, a well known water colourist.
The original was sold at Christies or Sotheby's in 1981 for £3,000.
Old painting of Symes' cottage
Photograph of a later painting of ladies outside Long Barn -
by Helen Allingham
Later painting of Symes' cottage
Anchor Hotel as you might see it today Anchor Hotel today
Bridge Stores and High Street as you might see them today Bridge Cottage Stores today
High Street as you might see it today High St today
Symes' cottage as you might see it today Symes' cottage today
more pictures

Copyright Notice & Disclaimer