In 1921 the British Legion was founded by Field Marshall Earl Haigh.
The organisations purpose was to help needy ex-servicemen
financially and to restore their self respect by providing employment.
Fifteen years later in 1936 the Bride Valley Branch of the British
Legion was inaugurated. The first meeting took place in the school hall at
Burton Bradstock on the
18th September, 1936. At that meeting the following appointments were made:
President:- Rev. A.R. Dittmer
Chairman:- Major J.M.B. Wratislaw
Treasurer:- Mr. A. Hackett.
Mr. R.B. Howarth
Committee Members:- Messrs. Elton, Cammell,
Nethercott, Hawkins and Brown.
Alfred Brown, William Nethercott, ? Elton, Edgar
Hawkins, Robert Cammell, Alfred Churchouse,
Major J.M.B.Wratislaw, Rev. A.R. Dittmer, R.B. Howarth and A. Hackett plus dog!
In 1938 the Women's Section was formed under the chairship of Mrs. Green.
Since that date and through the various wars that have taken place
but the local branch has continued for another 60
section was disbanded at the end of 2004
See a more detailed history of the 75years
the Branch on web site