The Anchor Band (mid 1920,s)
This photograph was taken outside the Cow Barker (Barton) at the bottom of Cliff Lane. It was demolished
shortly afterwards and Cheneys garage built on the site. On high days and holidays it was the wont of the clientele
of The Anchor Inn, suitably refreshed, to dress up and parade around the village to the delight of the children and
the dismay of their long suffering wives.
Front Row. Tinker Bartlett is the gentleman with the good conduct stripes on his right arm, a member of the volunteer
forces for many years.
Back Row. Also in the photo are: second from the left at the back, wearing the boater and playing some sort of
stringed instrument, Stewart Jacobs whose family lived in Minnies Cottage at that time. Lewis Brown is third on the right.
Fourth from the left, back row, wearing a sun-bonnet, Uncle Will Ward who lived in Duck Cottage.
Henry Pitman, second right with toy trumpet, worked on the Butchers small holding and lived in at the Old Butchery.
Jack Cammell is the one with the small drum.